I had the wonderful opportunity a few months ago, of meeting a young man who is interested in writing. He said he has ideas for a book, but isn’t sure how to begin. He’s written short stories, but doesn’t know how to begin a novel. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to talk very long with him, but it gave me an idea to start blog posts on this subject.
Whether a new author or a seasoned one, we all have questions, so I’ve asked my friends here at Cereal Authors for their contributions so we can share what we know. If you’re a visitor here, and have questions about writing, feel free to ask. Someone is sure to have an answer—whether one of us, or another visitor. If you aren’t an author, but know someone who is struggling, please point them in our direction. Watch this space for more articles about writing. Promise, you won’t be disappointed.
If you’re on Facebook, please pop over and Like the Cereal Authors page there and feel free to post your questions there. Also, please look for and follow our contributing authors. Should you take the time to visit our Amazon pages and have a look at our books, that’d be great.
Write It Right
Below is more of a bullet list than an actual article, but I will expand upon each of these later.
- Learn your grammar! I can’t emphasize this enough.
- Learn how to put together a solid sentence.
- Don’t allow yourself to develop bad writing habits.
- If you do develop bad habits, break them.
- Don’t believe everything you read in how-to-write books. Most of it is crap. Use the points that work for you and leave the rest.
- Write what you love, what excites you and what you are passionate about.
- Write a lot.
- Write where inspiration calls.
- It’s okay to take a break from writing.
- Find a community of writers.
- Don’t allow yourself to be bullied, but accept criticism when it is properly given.
- Embrace words.
- Vary sentence structure.
- And remember this quote from Shakespeare: To Thine Own Self Be True. In other words, don’t feel that you must write to trends and fads. Who knows, you might set the next trend yourself!